Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)

Fifty Shades of Grey - E.L. James I'll admit, I read this one purely because I heard it was bad. I just didn't realize it was this bad. See the chapter-by-chapter break down of it's misogynistic, rape-apologist, grammar-butchering badness at my blog.It's bad enough that the writing in this novel is just ungodly awful. To be honest, I could actually live with that if any single, solitary part of the story were good. But no. This book has to go and be terrible all the way through. It perpetuates misogynistic tropes about women, it completely fails to understand any part of the BDSM culture, it takes rape and presents it as 'kinky' without understanding the concept of 'Safe, Sane, and Consensual,' and it takes great delight in infantilizing the main character at every turn. The only thing this book insults more than women is real-life practitioners of BDSM, by portraying their lifestyle as something horribly abusive and loveless. And on top of all that, the characters are completely shitty and self-centered and moronic, and the 'plot' is woefully repetitive and dull. If one considers the 'plot' to be 'girl meets boy and they attempt to work out relationship difficulties,' the problem is that they keep repeating the same 'difficulty' over and over again, rehashing the same problem for hundreds of pages without actually progressing.