Wither (Chemical Garden)

Wither (Chemical Garden) - Lauren DeStefano This is a book about three girls being kidnapped for the sole purpose of being raped, one thirteen year old is raped (and don't you dare tell me she wanted it; the poor child was THIRTEEN YEARS OLD and had just been kidnapped), and yet not once in the whole book is the word 'rape' used.That just about sums up this book. It takes what should be a horrific subject and paints it in 'teehee, teenagers talking about sex' vocabulary.Rhine is not a bride, she's a kidnap victim who avoids being raped by authorial contrivance. Her 'sister wives' are rape victims. Her 'husband' is a rapist who didn't flinch when a dozen women he rejected were all shot.Making a YA book that deals with craptastic worlds where kidnapping, rape, and forced impregnation exist is not inherently bad. BUT FUCKING ADMIT THAT YOU'VE DONE IT AND DON'T TREAT IT LIKE SOME HIGH-SCHOOL-DRAMA-LOVE-TRIANGLE BULLSHIT.Oh, yeah, and the world makes no sense, too. I just couldn't find the wherewithal to give a fuck because I was still reeling from all the RAMPANT CHILD RAPE.