The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - This book is like a tiny, heartwarming package of feels, giftwrapped with a little bow on top. It's the kind of book you want to curl up with on a rainy afternoon (it has to be rainy, of course, or at least overcast) and just devour it in one sitting. Which is surprisingly easy to do: the large font means the book is actually pretty short, and the nearly stream-of-consciousness writing style makes it easy to get sucked in and suckerpunched with emotions.There's not much in the way of a plot to this book, but that fact fits well with the length, style, and probable intent. It's not really a story so much as it's a snapshot view, a turning-point day in the life of Hadley Sullivan. Which is really nice, because it lets Hadley's drama and emotions and predicament stand without getting cluttered, giving all of her emotions and problems room to be examined and experienced. Despite the cover and title, this book isn't much of a love story. This is a book about Hadley coming to terms with her parents' divorce and her father's remarriage. And it's captures so much of the confusion and heartache and pain of divorce so beautifully. No one in this story is a "bad guy," and despite Hadley's anger, the text manages to portray her father, mother, and new step-mother in a positive light. Everyone feels real and genuine and, even though they've done things that hurt, no one is bad. I love that. There's so many little comments, little details, little thoughts about divorce and the way it utterly changes a child's life that made me tear up and want to hug my own father.And even though the love story isn't the focus of the book, it (mostly) works in context as well. It doesn't detract from what's going on, and it gives Hadley a break from the unrelenting "ugh"ness of her day and allows her to think about the situation from a new perspective. It sort of serves as a framing device for the divorce/remarriage story, and in that sense, I'm really glad it was in the book.However, if there's anything that can be said bad about this book...it really is the love story. It wasn't particularly bad or problematic. It's just that...well, it always felt like a love story, not just something that's happened on this day, the way the rest of the book felt. And furthermore, it felt like everyone was in on the fact that it was a love story. There were a few too many knowing winks and "oh, I know that kind of crying, that's over-a-boy crying." (How can you even tell that?) Whenever Hadley told anyone about Oliver, there were just smiles and nods and that's-nice-s. And at one point, Hadley hared off looking for Oliver at a really inappropriate time, which felt rather unnatural. I could imagine her doing that in a number of other scenarios, but "OMG I have to find Oliver and comfort him because we have a connection" just isn't one of them. It felt too much like puppetstrings.Plus, I just can't imagine any parent being happy when some stranger that their daughter met on the plane shows up to crash their wedding reception. I mean, we know that we're not reading a story about sex-trafficking con men, but Hadley's father shouldn't be in on that, too.