Falling Kingdoms

Falling Kingdoms - Morgan Rhodes, Michelle Rowen I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It had a few problems, like the really uncomfortable "blame the girl for getting raped while she was drunk" undertones at the start, but most of its faults were restricted to poor research and writing. Even then, there were only a few. The event which supposedly kicked off the war? Happened at the same time as the kicking off of the war, so I'm not clear on how the two were supposed to be related. By the time Jonas gets around to doing anything about his brother's death, we find out that things are already in motion, but we don't get a real good sense of what did set things off. It's like a puzzle where all the pieces look like they should go together, but the shape is just slightly off. Also, people in this book tend to give speeches about their motives. It's a shame, since until the soliloquy moments, they're decently written. Also, I think this author is seriously confused on what a siege really is.But again, those are technical problems, there were only a few, and they didn't get in the way of my overall enjoyment of the book. Falling Kingdoms was a fun, quick read that had enjoyable characters and plenty of plot. It was a nice set-up for the sequel that didn't feel like just a draw-out prologue; it has its own story. I'll be eagerly awaiting the next installment.