Pure (Pure Trilogy)

Pure - Julianna Baggott I'm not giving any stars because I didn't read enough of the book to honestly rate it. I couldn't even get through the first chapter. The writing was trying way too hard, but in all the wrong ways. It was sloppy, sloppy prose that tried to hide that fact by dressing things up with symbolism and angst and flowery clauses. I still saw all the awkward tense shifting, the poor word choice, the fragments, and the comma splices. Having overwrought imagery shoved down my throat didn't make the rest any more palatable.As if that wasn't bad enough, there was just too much I was asked to believe in the first chapter and couldn't. Apparently this is a world where biology is completely fucked and infections don't exist. This is a world where a man can have an open hole leading down to his lungs, and even with ash thick in the air, he's still alive five years later. This is a world where there's no record of addresses, where people move at the drop of a hat, where no one is making even an attempt to build a community, and yet the overbearing militia can still find your house. This is a world where a 'blast of heat' can melt one rubber doll head, but not anything else in the vicinity. And so, so much more.I might have been able to see past all that, if there had been anything to see past all that, but the book didn't dish out. All it gave me was world-building problems and cloying writing, holding back everything else, including any hint of any sort of any plot. Some people will like this, but I'm not one of them.