Runaway Groom

Runaway Groom - Sally Clements A galley copy was provided free by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.This was a light, fun, sweet read. Though it didn’t have much substance to it, the book had fun characters, a cute romance, and just a dash of steamy goodness. There were a couple squicky moments of Matthew pushing kisses on April, and once physically confining her to the bed. Both moments felt completely out of place, since he was sweet and respectful the rest of the time, with the result that they felt more shoehorned in for the sake of genre convention than natural to the story.The book had very little to do with the title and actually felt more like a series of short stories than one complete book. The main conflict kept shifting, at first it was Matthew’s past history, then it was her family not approving, then it was emotional baggage. These were all fine and dandy conflicts on their own, but they didn’t get tied together very well, with the result that the emotional reset button got pressed a few times. Each problem was easily solved and didn’t lead to much drama; it was just handily wrapped up with a few conversations and then tucked out of the way for new conflicts.Despite not having much dramatic or narrative payoff, I felt that the writing and the characters carried me through it. I honestly liked April and Matthew, and June was given a surprisingly nuanced treatment. The other side characters were a bit underutilized, but still fun when they showed up. And, while I was never biting my nails over the romance, it was a very enjoyable romance. I liked the time I spent with it, and that’s really all you can ask of a book.